Melissanthi Spei is a Fashion Artist based in Athens. Her heritage, coming from Greece, in combination with her creativity inspires her to create contemporary and sculptural garments. Part of her identity as a designer is to use industrial materials for something historical and old through the exploration of traditional arts and crafts and their projection to contemporary aesthetics. Her work revolves around folklore culture.
Exhibitions & Achievements
- Nominated as one the winners at OpenMyMed 2020-2021 Prize by Maison Mode Méditerranée
- Participation the ‘Why-What-Who’ exhibition at Museo Nacional de Arte Decorativo, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- Participation at Innovative Costume of the 21st Century exhibition at A.A. Bakhrushin State Central Theatre Museum, Moscow, Russia.
- Winner of the Nordic Design Society competition ‘Find Your Inner North - Modern National Costume’, Paris, France.
- Costume designer for play ‘See, Little Man!’ with Ar(c)t team based on Wilhelm Reich’s essay ‘Listen,Little Man!
- Participation at Creativewear Project exhibition at Athens School of Fine Art
- Participation at the ‘Why-What-Who’ exhibition at the Beijing Institute of Fashion Technology, China.
- Selected as one of 3 artists to represent Greece at Vestino Festival with Creativewear Project, Palermo, Italy.
- Avant Garde Finalist at World of Wearable Art Awards 2018, Wellington, New Zealand.
- Participation at the ‘Why-What-Who’ exhibition at the VENICE BIENNALE curated by UAL and design.ve, Venice, Italy.
- Participation at the Route Exhibition at FASHIONCLASH Festival, Maastricht, the Netherlands.
- Participation at the 4Casting Gallery Showrooms curated by I. P. Projects, Athens.
- Participation at the MALTA FASHION WEEK Photography exhibition 2017 as part of EU Presidency, Valletta, Malta.
- Participation at the Sustainable Fashion Workshop organised by BRITISH COUNCIL and ATOPOS, Athens.
- Participation at the ‘FETISHISM: Obsessions in Fashion & Design’ at TRAPHOLT MUSEUM, Trapholt, Denmark.
- Shortlisted for the ANCIENT & MODERN PRIZE in collaboration with CORNUCOPIA MAGAZINE, Istanbul, Turkey & Scottish Borders, UK.
- Participation at YKK ‘Fashion Warriors’ Exhibition at LINEA PELLE, Milan, Italy.
- Participation at the M°BA | ARNHEM MODE BIENNALE 2013 ‘Fetishism in Fashion’, Arnhem, Netherlands.
- Shortlisted as an Accessories finalist for ITS 2013 – International Talent Support, Trieste, Italy.
- MA collection showcased at Victoria House during LONDON FASHION WEEK, London, UK.
- Participation at CARNIVAL KING OF EUROPE exhibition at Warsaw Ethnographic Museum, Warsaw, Poland.
- Icarus Exhibition at Brunswick hotel, Glasgow – collaboration with Marina McClean from STYLESCANNER and photographer Garry MacLennan, Glasgow, UK.
- NEW DESIGNERS EXHIBITION at the Borders Textiles Towerhouse, Hawick, UK
- SCOTTISH ACADEMY OF FASHION SHOWCASE 2011, Inspace, Edinburgh, UK
- Accessories finalist at the Third Creative Call of WHAT’S MORE ALIVE THAN YOU, Padua, Italy.
- Selected as one of the finalists representing Scotland for the SDC INTERNATIONAL DESIGN COMPETITION, Galashiels, UK.
- Selected by the University as one of the representatives for the MACKINTOSH RAINWEAR Competition in collaboration with the Scottish Academy of Fashion for the creation of the A/W 2011 collection, Galashiels & Edinburgh, UK.